A brow lift, also called a forehead lift, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that raises the soft tissue and the skin around the eyebrows to correct sagging. A brow lift can help create a more even profile for heavier, drooping eyebrows and improve the appearance of one’s forehead.
The upper face is a key region for the communication of emotion. Our eyes and eyebrows convey interest, indifference, happiness, frustration, anger, and a host of other emotions. Yet as we grow older, this region can begin to lose its youthful vigor. When our eyebrows sag, we may look tired, frustrated, hurt, or “too serious”. The last thing we want is to give the wrong impression with our facial expressions, as this can impact us personally and professionally. Patients can undergo a brow lift procedure to rejuvenate their upper face and regain a more youthful appearance.
Dr. Hannah Vu and the team at SkinZone Laser and Cosmetic Surgery are passionate about providing effective results that positively impact patients’ lives. As a cosmetic surgeon specializing in aesthetic face, breast, and body procedures, Dr. Vu works with patients to understand their aesthetic goals. If you are interested in learning more about how brow lift can improve your facial profile, contact our Alhambra office at (626) 329-4555 or Santa Ana office at (714) 361-1555, or fill out a simple contact form.
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 Facial Changes & The Aging Process
- 3 Types of Brow Lift
- 4 Benefits of a Brow Lift
- 5 Candidates
- 6 Personal Consultation
- 7 Preparation
- 8 Brow Lift Procedure
- 9 Recovery
- 10 Results
- 11 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 12 Cost of a Brow Lift in Los Angeles, CA
- 13 References
Before and After Photos
Facial Changes & The Aging Process
Over time, we lose elasticity in our skin and the effects of gravity cause inevitable sagging in the brow line and forehead area. This sagging, medically referred to as “ptosis”, can lead to a lowering of the eyebrows, creasing of eyelid tissues, and a gathering of excess skin in the upper third of the face. (1) Drooping eyes and downset eyebrows may project a stern, tired expression when you may actually be alert and happy! A brow lift can lessen horizontal lines along the forehead, and address tissue ptosis. Dr. Vu can help reshape the brow area so that the eyebrows sit in a more natural, lifted position on the face; allowing you to express yourself clearly.
Types of Brow Lift
Endoscopic Brow Lift
The endoscopic brow lift is a minimally invasive procedure with small incisions made behind the hairline. Benefits of this technique include reduced scarring and a quick recovery time. (1)
Hairline Brow Lift
Also called a trichophytic lift, this technique works best for individuals with a high hairline. Dr. Vu makes an incision in the hairline to lift the forehead skin. Excess skin is then removed with the hairline remaining in place. Patients may also consider hairline advancement with this technique. (2)
Coronal Brow Lift
Skin tissue and fat along the scalp are removed to provide space to lift the eyebrows and forehead into an aesthetic position. A small incision is made behind the hairline. This tiny incision results in a small scar. (1)
Also referred to as a mid-forehead lift, the lateral eyebrow is lifted through an incision directly above the eyebrow, or within forehead wrinkles or furrows. The direct lift is most commonly used for patients with brow sagging caused by facial nerve injury. (1)
Benefits of a Brow Lift
A brow lift is long-lasting and can help you to maintain well-shaped, youthful contours in the upper face. Benefits of a brow lift include the following:
- Restoration of youthful eyebrow arch
- Removal of excess skin from the forehead area
- Less sagging in upper lids
- Restored neutral expression
- Wider, more alert eye appearance
- Smoothing of forehead lines
As sagging and fine lines along the brow line usually become more pronounced as we get older, it’s common for patients over 40 to opt for a brow lift procedure. We do see younger patients in their 20s and 30s who may have inherited a sinking or wrinkled browline. A brow lift may not be suitable if the patient has:
- Had a blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery)
- Serious cardiac, pulmonary, or circulatory conditions
- Diabetes mellitus
- A blood clotting disorder
- Dry eye syndrome (keratoconjunctivitis sicca)
Unlike cosmetic surgeries that target multiple areas of the face, the brow lift only affects the upper third. As a result, the surgery is not a good fit for patients with unrealistic expectations, and for whom more extensive anti-aging treatment is required. Patients interested in more comprehensive facial rejuvenation may inquire about a face and/or neck lift with Dr. Vu at their consultation.
Dr. Vu takes great pride in helping her patients achieve their aesthetic best. She works with each patient to craft an effective treatment to lift and sculpt their brows. During your consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss goals for your eyebrow lift. You will also be asked to provide your medical history, and list your current medications. Dr. Vu will also assess the level of ptosis in your forehead and brow and note your skin’s elastic qualities in the area.
If you are interested in how a brow lift can combat skin sagging, smooth wrinkles, and revitalize your upper face, contact us today to learn more! You can also read about the procedures we offer on our blog.
It is important to prepare well for a brow lift procedure. Although it is not the most extensive facial rejuvenation procedure, it still involves some planning. Instructions to follow prior to your surgery include the following.
- Avoid smoking six weeks before surgery to prevent healing complications.
- Avoid sunbathing and tanning sessions two weeks prior to the procedure.
- Avoid blood-thinning medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and other NSAIDs.
- Avoid blood-thinning vitamins and supplements such as Vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, and St. John’s Wort.
- Where requested, trim your hair to avoid hindrances to surgery.
- Pre-arrange for a friend or family member to drive you home after your procedure.
Brow Lift Procedure
- Anesthesia: Dr. Vu may offer IV sedation, local, or general anesthesia depending on your treatment plan.
- Incisions and Adjustment: Various options for brow lifts exist depending on the technique and the individual goals and preferences of the patient. Your brow lift procedure may include an incision behind the brow line (endoscopic and coronal brow lifts), above the eyebrow (direct brow lift), or at the hairline (hairline brow lift). Regardless of incision placement, it will allow for adjustment of skin and tissues to correct the shape and position of the brow line.
- Closing The Incision: Dr. Vu will close the incision with sutures
- Post-procedure: After the procedure, we will monitor you for a brief period of time before releasing you to your trusted adult for transportation home.
As this is a surgical procedure, recovery will require time. We recommend requesting one to two weeks off of work for full, effective healing. Post-surgery instructions include the following.
- Arrange for your friend or acquaintance to stay with you one to two nights after surgery to safely begin the recovery process.
- Sleep upright for at least the first night using pillows to prop up your head.
- Wear bandages the first 24 hours after the procedure
- Shower after the first 24 hours using baby shampoo to wash hair–avoid high heat
- Avoid strenuous activities, heavy lifting and exercise, also–yes–sexual activity in the first few weeks in recovery.
- Take low impact walks to keep up blood circulation.
- Apply an ice pack in the first few days to calm swelling
Results will be immediately visible after the procedure, but there may be some residual swelling and bruising in the weeks that follow. As swelling decreases, more pronounced results will be apparent within two weeks, with full results settling in after a few months. Patients observe an improved brow line with a rested, neutral facial expression.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Neuromodulators like Botox can be a non-surgical, non-permanent way to rejuvenate the face. Targeted injection of botulinum toxin is extremely effective for reducing the appearance of horizontal forehead lines and glabellar lines. Though not as extensive as the brow lift, Botox allows patients to experience a more youthful brow and forehead aesthetic.
Radiofrequency energy-based devices and intense pulsed light/radiofrequency (IPL/RF) combination treatments allow patients to improve skin sagging in the face. Some patients prefer less invasive skin tightening treatments as they are more cost-effective and there is less extensive downtime.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
PRP is a newer way to help patients fight the aging process! It uses the treated plasma from your own blood to facilitate your body’s regeneration of cells. Though it does not address excess skin sagging like a brow lift, PRP supports tissue regeneration, collagen production, and improved facial skin texture.
Facial Fat Transfer
Facial fat transfer is for patients experiencing a loss of tissue fullness in the face. It is commonly used to increase volume in hollowed cheeks, creating a rounder, more youthful face shape. Fat transfer to the face can also strengthen a weak chin, smooth marionette lines, and fill conspicuous skin dimpling.
Cost of a Brow Lift in Los Angeles, CA
The cost of a brow lift will vary depending on the type of brow lift performed and the treatment plan outlined at your consultation. Financing may be available for qualified candidates. Set up a consultation today with SkinZone Laser & Cosmetic Surgery by calling (626) 329-4555 for our Alhambra office, or (714) 361-1555 to reach our Santa Ana location. We are nearby Irvine, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Anaheim, Long Beach, Pasadena, San Marino, San Gabriel, Montebello, Huntington Park, and more….
Busy schedule? Dr. Vu offers virtual consultations for your convenience! For more information about our facial rejuvenation services, and the other procedures available at SkinZone, please read or blog.
- Karimi, N., Kashkouli, M.B., Sianati, H, & Khademi, B. Techniques of Eyebrow Lifting: A Narrative Review. (2020). Journal of Ophthalmic and Vision Research. 15(2): 218-235, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7151508/
- Raggio, B.S. & Winters, R. Endoscopic Brow Lift. [Updated 2022 Jul 1]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK545220/